How we produce and maintain high-quality mobility and location data
A methodology built for emerging markets
We produce and maintain high-quality Transit Data, Point of Interest (POI) Data, and Real-Time Alerts in emerging markets, because our clients need it, and because better data means better outcomes. The quality of our data offering is underpinned by a powerful combination of products, playbooks, and people. Our custom-built data management platform and the expertise of our in-market teams are key—meaning we deliver fresh data assets unrivalled in their accuracy and completeness.
What high quality means
High-quality data provides a clear picture of mobility and emerging-market economies. Our robust, fresh data assets are trusted as a source of truth, and quality is what sets us apart.
- Complete: We produce data where others don’t. Every mode of public transport, every operational style, as well as centres of economic activity.
- Detailed: Defined attributes across our data offering. The information we deliver to our clients is the ground truth of high-growth, emerging markets.
- Accurate: Produced, verified, maintained—with precision. Accurate and fresh mobility and location data underpinned by a powerful combination of products, playbooks, and people.
Combining products, playbooks, and people
We work in-field in every market where we offer Transit Data, Point of Interest Data, and Real-Time Alerts, using custom-built tools to capture every valuable detail. We’ve developed tools that seamlessly collect, validate, and process public transport network data, apps that track GPS coordinates and route information, tools to process and publish alerts, and consumer apps that simplify community-contributed data. We prioritise reliability and accuracy, and use the same tools to maintain fresh data assets.
We’re methodical about quality, with our knowledge stored in meticulously maintained playbooks. When we started, we had apps for data collection and processing, and an API to serve data at high volume. As we enhanced our tools, building the data management platform we use today, our processes changed—and we documented every learning. Our playbooks enable remote capabilities and efficient growth. Today, we simultaneously map and maintain data assets in multiple megacities, producing richer, more valuable data more rapidly.
Our global team of technology and data production experts work alongside local, experienced GIS professionals to ensure we are producing and maintaining high-quality data. Our local experts collect Transit Data and POI data, and keep it up to date as a city develops. Dedicated teams in each market maintain our Real-Time Alerts feeds. Our hyperlocal methodology means we establish and nurture relationships with local operators and passengers, capturing a city’s changes as they happen, ensuring that our data is always accurate.
Global coverage in emerging markets
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; Algiers, Algeria; Amman, Jordan; Bangkok, Thailand; Bandung, Indonesia; Beirut, Lebanon; Bloemfontein, South Africa; Cap-Haitien, Haiti; Cape Town, South Africa; Cairo, Egypt; Casablanca, Morocco; Constantine, Algeria; Dar es Salaam, Tanzania; Dhaka, Bangladesh; Da Nang, Vietnam; Doha, Qatar; Douala, Cameroon; Dubai, United Arab Emirates; Durban, South Africa; East London, South Africa; Freetown, Sierra Leone; Gaborone, Botswana; Gauteng (Johannesburg, Tshwane, Ekurhuleni), South Africa; George, South Africa; Gqeberha, South Africa; Hanoi, Vietnam; Harare, Zimbabwe; Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam; Hyderabad, India; Kampala, Uganda; Kigali, Rwanda; Lima, Peru; Lusaka, Zambia; Maputo, Mozambique; Mbombela, South Africa; Mexico City, Mexico; Muscat, Oman; Nagpur, India; Nairobi, Kenya; Oran, Algeria; Querétaro, Mexico; Phnom Penh, Cambodia; Rabat, Morocco; Salé, Morocco; São Paulo, Brazil; Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina; Tunis, Tunisia; Windhoek, Namibia; Zanzibar, Tanzania
“Instead of months, the transport data collection and processing timeline happened within the matter of a few short weeks.”
Better data means better outcomes
For data-driven investments in a time of rapid change, for solutions that benefit those living in emerging markets, or for the development of the public transport network itself, there are many growth opportunities that can be harnessed with the use of high-quality mobility and location data.
- Optimise coverage: A positive user experience benefits from high-quality data, and entry into high-growth markets is made possible. Data that enables a bigger impact in emerging markets.
- Increase ROI: A clearer understanding of emerging economies reveals opportunities, whatever your project entails. Informed location investments and maximum impact, powered by high-quality data.
- Understand the present, plan for the future: How people get around, the transport modes they use, and what they do. Data that shows the full picture, reduces uncertainty, and informs growth.
Most of the world’s fastest-growing cities are in emerging markets. What could you do when your Transit Data, Point of Interest Data, and Real-Time Alerts data is accurate, up to date, and shows the full picture?
Data you can rely on
Informed by research
Producing high-quality data starts with research: planning, getting to know the city, and finding infrastructure. We speak with local experts, potential and existing partners, and with citizens at in-field workshops.
We’ve defined what high-quality data means for our data offerings—characteristics that represent the ground truth, and create value for people living and working in emerging markets.
Validated and maintained
Early-stage validation includes checking data to ensure route names are correct, duplicate information is removed, and inconsistencies are rectified. High-quality data requires maintenance, and our custom-built data management platform and dedicated in-field team make that possible.
Mobility and location data use cases
- Consumer Applications: Localise or launch consumer applications in emerging markets. Find out more
- Urban Planning: Reduce risk and shape urban and transport planning projects grounded in fact. Find out more
- Transport Impact Evaluation: Generate new insights, understanding movement, place, and emerging markets. Find out more
- Infrastructure Feasibility Evaluation: Deliver informed feasibility evaluations, harnessing high-quality data. Find out more
- Site Selection and Geomarketing: Position your business in high-growth markets. Find out more
- Economic Indicators: Gain a competitive edge, identifying economic impact and opportunity. Find out more
Grow with data from WhereIsMyTransport
A single source of mobility and location data for emerging markets, our data assets are in global-standard formats, making it easy to reflect the ground truth in your work.
- Transit Data: Complete public transport network data. Learn more
- Point of Interest (POI) Data: Location data from the places people value. Learn more
- Real-Time Alerts: Up-to-the-minute feeds of incidents and disruptions. Learn more
“Emerging markets can be a really exciting opportunity. Because—no pun intended—it's brand new territory for companies.”
Interested in finding out more?
Using unique tools, on-the-ground expertise, and smart methodology, we produce unrivalled multi-layered mobility and location data in emerging markets. See how our data offering can help you deliver impactful projects.