WhereIsMyTransport is hiring an Android Engineer to create location-aware Android applications using our innovative public transport platform. You will work alongside the developers who engineer our data collection tools and collaboratively solve problems through sophisticated designs and quality products.
This position is based in Cape Town.
Overview of activities & responsibilities
- Design, write, and maintain high performance Kotlin/Java/Android code
- Translate designs and wireframes into high-quality Android applications.
- Write or use testing tools
- Work with other software engineers to find innovative ways to harness location capabilities on a multitude of devices
- Identify bottlenecks and fix bugs
- 3+ years of app development experience
- Experience using location services
- A deep understanding of the Android framework and relevant libraries
- Android UI design principles, patterns, and best practices
- Ability to effectively communicate technical concepts in a multidisciplinary environment
Bonus points if you have:
- Understanding of Git and Continuous Integration
- Cloud message APIs and push notifications
- Familiarity with additional sensors such as gyroscopes and accelerometers
- Experience in iOS using Swift is a plus
- A strong communicator and active listener; you value others’ diversity: ideas, experience, culture, skills, and thinking
- Accountable for your own work, and supportive of ownership in others. You’ll never knowingly let your team down - “It’s not my job” is not in your vocabulary
- Always looking for ways to work ‘smarter’ - iterating and experimenting to achieve outcomes more efficiently. You’re not afraid to constructively challenge the ideas of others, but when a decision has been made you commit to it fully
- Comfortable in uncertainty, able to take calculated risks and work with a strong sense of urgency
- An entrepreneurial thinker: you keep informed of what we’re striving for and stay focused. You think deeply about the ‘why’ of everything you plan to do and how it will drive us toward our mission
- Able to remain positive, lifting up those around you; you see failure as a valuable learning experience
We are tackling fundamental urban development issues in emerging markets in order to build the definitive digital solution for sustainable urban mobility.
Mobility remains a critical stumbling block for hundreds of millions of people living without reliable access to public transport services; lacking the basic freedom of movement they need to change their circumstances.
Our data and technology unlocks information - it makes the invisible visible - and, by getting the right information to the right people at the right time, in a format they love, we are making public transport more accessible, more predictable, easier to navigate, and safer to use for everyone, everywhere.
To be successful, our team of people - around the world - must be as diverse as the populations that use our data and technology to improve their lives, and as inclusive as the solutions we develop for them. We celebrate difference - race, ethnicity, social background, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation and national origin. This is how we grow…
How to Apply
Get in touch with us - send a copy of your CV to [email protected]
We aim to reply to all applications, but if you haven’t received any feedback within two weeks of the closing date, please assume that we have not selected you to proceed to the next stage.