Director of Operations
WhereIsMyTransport is hiring an experienced Director of Operations to lead our Operations team, including Finance, Legal, Human Capital, Campus Operations, and IT. As we continue to expand globally, our Director of Operations will ensure their team works proactively and creatively to support our business strategy, and our success in new markets. The Director of Operations will be based in Cape Town, with travel to London on a regular basis, and we will consider applications from either South Africa or the United Kingdom.
Overview of activities and responsibilities
Strategy implementation and business planning
- Provide expertise and support, from an Operations perspective, to the development and ongoing refinement of our corporate strategy and wider innovation strategy;
- Design and implement a strategy and annual business plan for our Operations functions, aligned with our overall business strategy;
- Own cross-functional areas of our business such as organisational design, resourcing strategy, legal and compliance, risk management, and business continuity;
- Direct and drive the establishment of global offices and teams as the business expands into new markets. Develop and maintain partnerships with third-parties in pursuit of our organisation’s Operations objectives globally.
- Own our Operations functions - lead the Ops team, and be a guide and mentor, driving and maintaining excellence across everything we do;
- Develop and implement a comprehensive, multi-year plan to drive agility, efficiency, effectiveness and risk mitigation in our Operations functions;
- Maintain an in-depth understanding of where our business is headed, using this knowledge and further research to identify and mitigate potential operational challenges before we encounter them;
- Oversee the development, implementation, and refinement of our Operations processes, procedures, and IT systems in pursuit of excellence;
- Develop and maintain control systems to monitor, evaluate, improve, and report on the execution of our main business initiatives;
- Provide input to the development and delivery of internal and external training plans for our Operations team;
- Establish and professionalise an internal audit function to maximize legal and procedural compliance and generate Operational intelligence, working closely with Finance and Legal;
- Establish and develop a quality management function to ensure legal and contractual compliance as well as professionalism in delivering innovation activities.
Technology Strategy & Implementation
- Develop and oversee the implementation of a long-term IT strategy for the company;
- Oversee on-time/on-budget implementation and maintenance of mission-critical IT systems;
- Oversee our hardware and software portfolio and the security and integrity of our IT environment;
- Oversee the implementation of a future-proof information management system to ensure that information is managed strategically and in compliance with emerging standards and regulation, including applicable privacy laws globally.
Leadership & Team Management
- Lead, guide, and hold accountable the heads of our Operations units: currently Human Capital, Finance, and Office Operations;
- Maintain an internal communication plan to connect with our employees and partners in an open, transparent, systematic, and bi-directional manner on all things Operations related;
- Provide leadership, facilitation and coordination for internal teams charged with executing or contributing to key elements of our programme management, operations management and operational excellence processes and procedures;
- Contribute to company-wide decision-making through collaboration and partnership with our senior leadership team;
- Contribute to improving the organizational dynamics and design of our company to ensure our team is efficient, effective and equipped to be a world leader in the mobility space.
Experience and education
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or similar;
- A strong track record of operational leadership at a senior level in a complex, multinational and distributed knowledge organization; bonus points if this experience is in the mobility space;
- Solid managerial experience (10-15 years) including responsibility for personnel, budget, financial administration, project management and programme management;
- Experience with fundraising and/or a solid network of contacts in venture capital will be extremely advantageous;
- Experience with and understanding of both Finance and Legal aspects of business operations;
- Experience with scaling data-driven and technology-enabled (platform) organisations is a plus;
- Proven track record of successfully developing high-performing teams, leading, managing and motivating others, especially during periods of change, and driving continuous improvement within an operations and planning function.
- Familiarity and proficiency in multilateral project and programme management;
- Able to work in an international and distributed team in a multidisciplinary and multi-cultural context. Skilled in negotiating, building bridges, securing buy-in, and influencing within complex governance structures;
- Highly-developed process and systems design skills. Proven ability to develop and optimise operational functions. Familiarity and proficiency in systems thinking and in working with complexity;
- Highly-developed leadership skills emphasizing empathy, agility, empowerment, and collaboration; able to translate understanding of needs into dynamic and entrepreneurial action;
- Familiarity and proficiency in coaching others; able to build capacity by investing in the development of others;
- Proven success in working with board members and other senior management to deliver strategic objectives;
- Excellent spoken and written English is a must; bonus points for Spanish as an additional language;
- Experience in technology and the scale-up environment will be a huge advantage, but not pre-requisite
We are tackling fundamental urban development issues in emerging markets in order to build the definitive digital solution for sustainable urban mobility.
Mobility remains a critical stumbling block for hundreds of millions of people living without reliable access to public transport services; lacking the basic freedom of movement they need to change their circumstances.
Our data and technology unlocks information - it makes the invisible visible - and, by getting the right information to the right people at the right time, in a format they love, we are making public transport more accessible, more predictable, easier to navigate, and safer to use for everyone, everywhere.
To be successful, our team of people - around the world - must be as diverse as the populations that use our data and technology to improve their lives, and as inclusive as the solutions we develop for them. We celebrate difference - race, ethnicity, social background, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation and national origin. This is how we grow…
How to Apply
Get in touch with us: [email protected]
Send us your CV, with a note that’ll make us sit up and pay attention. Please be clear as to where in the world you’re currently based.
We aim to reply to all applications, but if you haven’t received any feedback within two weeks of the closing date, please assume that we have not selected you to proceed to the next stage.