Junior Geospatial Analyst
WhereIsMyTransport is hiring a Geospatial Analyst to join our growing team in Cape Town. They will take ownership of geospatial data processing and analysis, ensuring we are constantly improving our processes while simultaneously sharing their knowledge with our team through internal training initiatives.
Overview of activities and responsibilities
- Process and clean both collected and sourced transport data
- Plan and lead data processing and analysis projects
- Identify and motivate for improvements to existing geospatial data processing and analysis methodologies and techniques
- Conduct geospatial analysis (raster and vector) in support of transport data and company initiatives
- Use analysis and spatial mapping to identify patterns and trends and translate findings into reports and presentations
- Produce maps which represent the distribution of various types of data
- Carry out quality assurance on spatial data
- Manage and maintain a digital library of geospatial data in various file formats
- Identify, analyze, order and assemble geospatial source materials, including vector and raster imagery
- Coordinate and deliver spatial data processing and analysis training to our wider team
- Assist in the development of geospatial processing and analysis applications and tools.
- A Bachelor’s Degree or higher qualification in either Geographical Information Science, Cartography, Land Surveying, or Urban Planning
- Registration with the SAGC (South African Geomatics Council) as a Technician/Technologist
- 4+ years experience in Geospatial data processing and cleaning, including use of tools such as ArcGIS and QGIS
- Knowledge of Python and SQL
- Experienced in geospatial and statistical analysis of data, and in management/maintenance of geospatial databases
- Demonstrable expertise with GIS applications in land use or transport
- Previous work experience in Project Management
- A strong track record of team leading teams of 5 or more, including training and mentoring
Bonus points if you have:
- Registration with GISSA
- Experience in ModelBuilder techniques
- Experience in app development
- Basic knowledge of Machine Learning and Data Science
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, often with tight deadlines
- Creative and curious; you love learning new skills and applying your analytical mindset to problem-solving
- A strong communicator, both written and spoken
- Highly emotionally intelligent and able to demonstrate a track record of success working within and leading teams
- Someone with a strong sense of ownership and accountability; you also know how to delegate
- Able to work quickly and accurately without sacrificing on details
- Passionate about GIS Technology; you read current literature, network with industry professionals and participate in professional organizations to stay up to date
We are tackling fundamental urban development issues in emerging markets in order to build the definitive digital solution for sustainable urban mobility.
Our data and technology unlocks information - it makes the invisible visible - and, by getting the right information to the right people at the right time, in a format they love, we are making public transport more accessible, more predictable, easier to navigate, and safer to use for everyone, everywhere.
To be successful, our team of people - around the world - must be as diverse as the populations that use our data and technology to improve their lives, and as inclusive as the solutions we develop for them. We celebrate difference - race, ethnicity, social background, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation and national origin. This is how we grow…
How to Apply
Get in touch with us: [email protected]
Send us your CV, along with a cover letter which highlights why this role is a perfect fit with your qualifications and experience.
We aim to reply to all applications, but if you haven’t received any feedback within two weeks of the closing date, please assume that we have not selected you to proceed to the next stage.