Senior Android Engineer
WhereIsMyTransport is hiring a Senior Android Engineer to create location-aware Android applications using our innovative public transport platform. You will work alongside the developers who engineer our data collection tools and collaboratively solve problems through sophisticated designs and quality products.
This position is based in Cape Town.
Role & Responsibilities
- Design, write, and maintain high performance Java/Android code
- Translate designs and wireframes into high-quality Android applications.
- Write or use testing tools
- Work with other software engineers to find innovative ways to harness location capabilities on a multitude of devices
- Identify bottlenecks and fix bugs
- 5+ years of app development experience
- Experience using location services
- A deep understanding of the Android framework and relevant libraries
- Android UI design principles, patterns, and best practices
- Ability to effectively communicate technical concepts in a multidisciplinary environment
Bonus points if you have:
- Understanding of Git and Continuous Integration
- Cloud message APIs and push notifications
- Familiarity with additional sensors such as gyroscopes and accelerometers
- Experience in iOS using Swift is a plus
- Accountable; you take on ownership - “it’s not my job” is not in your vocabulary
- Vocal; you like to challenge but will commit once a decision is reached
- Innovative; you continuously look to improve and simplify our products and processes
- Curious; you love to learn new things and are actively seeking out feedback
- Friendly; you have a positive attitude, communicate well and are a team player
- Full of grit; you have passion and perseverance
We are tackling fundamental urban development issues in emerging markets in order to build the definitive digital solution for sustainable urban mobility. Mobility remains a critical stumbling block for hundreds of millions of people living without reliable access to public transport services; lacking the basic freedom of movement they need to change their circumstances.
Our award-winning data and technology unlocks information - it makes the invisible visible - and, by getting the right information to the right people at the right time, in a format they love, we are making public transport more accessible, more predictable, easier to navigate, and safer to use for everyone, everywhere.
To be successful, our team of people - around the world - must be as diverse as the populations that use our data and technology to improve their lives, and as inclusive as the solutions we develop for them.
We celebrate difference - race, ethnicity, social background, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation and national origin. This is how we grow…
How to Apply
If this is you all over, please send your CV to [email protected], along with a note that’ll make us sit up and pay attention.
We aim to reply to all applications, but if you haven’t received any feedback within two weeks of the closing date, please assume that we have not selected you to proceed to the next stage.