Privacy Notice for Job Applicants
Thank you for applying for a position at WhereIsMyTransport.
Whether you are applying for a permanent role, a temporary role, a part-time role, as an employee or as a contractor, we will only use the personal information you share with us during the recruitment process in compliance with applicable privacy and data protection laws and regulations (“Privacy Laws”).
This privacy notice explains clearly and simply, what personal information we need to know about you, why we need it and how we are going to use it (as well as when we will delete your personal information from our records).
It also tells you what your legal rights are in relation to your personal information. Those rights are set out at the end of this notice.
1. Why we collect your personal information and our lawful basis for using it
We do not use your personal information just because we feel like it. We do it because we need to make an informed hiring decision. We believe in creating a team made up of motivated, dedicated people with the right qualifications, skills, experience, and attitude. It is in our legitimate interest to know more about you to ensure we hire the right individuals for our team. This is known as a “lawful basis” for processing personal information.
Sometimes our lawful basis for using your personal information is to comply with employment or other applicable laws including equal opportunities monitoring. Very occasionally, we process your personal information with your explicit consent.
If your application is successful, we will need to process your personal information to enter into an employment contract with you.
2. When, how, and what personal information we process about you
You tell us about yourself when you:
- Send us your curriculum vitae (or CV)
- Complete our online application form
- Take one of our aptitude tests which may contain questions asking you to talk about a personal experience
- Send us a letter, or email
- Attend an interview (in person or remotely)
We may discover personal information about you from other sources, as follows:
- Recruiters: Sometimes we use recruiting firms to fill a position. Recruiters usually provide the following information about you: CV and contact details
- Referees: We ask you to provide the names of two people who we can contact to obtain a reference about you. We will ask your referees: (i) how they have known you; (ii) how long you worked for them; (iii) how you performed in your role working for or with them; and (iv) whether they have any reservations or concerns about you
- Publicly available information: We may take a look at information you make available on social media platforms such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter or any other publicly available information
In the course of the recruitment process, you may provide us with what is called special category data. This is information about you which is more sensitive, such as information about your health, race or ethnicity, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, and/or political opinions. We will only use that information where it is necessary to comply with employment or other applicable laws (eg. to ensure our recruitment process provides equal opportunities and is not discriminatory) or with your explicit consent.
When you apply to us for a role, in order for us to decide whether you are suitable for that role and to be able to communicate with you about the role, we need to know:
- Your name
- How to contact you
- Your qualifications and any special skills
- Evidence of your right to work in the UK, the EU, South Africa, or Mexico
- Your employment history
If you haven’t already provided us with this information, or we haven’t been given it by someone else, we will ask you for it. Our recruitment process is the same for anyone who applies for a position at WhereIsMyTransport. If you do not want to provide us with the information we need in order for us to make an informed hiring decision, we will unfortunately not be able to take your application forward.
3. How we use your personal information
We only use your personal information to decide whether you are the right person for the role, to communicate with you during the recruitment process, to check the accuracy of the information you shared with us, to comply with our legal obligations and to keep a record of your application (but only for a limited time).
- If we like your CV and covering letter or covering email and, where relevant, you successfully complete our aptitude test(s), we will call you for an interview.
- At the interview, we will use the information you provided in your CV, covering letter or covering email and, where relevant, in your test paper, to get to know you better. We may also make reference to the publicly available information we have discovered about you.
- If the interview goes well and we would like to extend an offer to you, we will conduct further checks with, for example, our background check providers, or credit rating agencies. This is also the time when we will call upon your referees. If everything checks out, we will offer you a job with us.
4. Who we share your personal information with
Please rest assured that we only share your personal information in the way described in this privacy notice. Any third party which receives your personal information can use it only for the specified purpose: e.g. to conduct a background check. We fully vet all third parties we work with and, importantly, we only work with them if they are committed to respecting (and are able to demonstrate compliance with) applicable Privacy Laws.
5. How long we keep your personal information
If at the end of the recruitment process, we do not offer you a role, we will keep your personal information for a period of 12 months after we inform you of our decision. We keep your personal information for this period of time to be able to demonstrate, if asked, that we followed a fair and transparent recruitment process in compliance with equal opportunities requirements. We also keep your personal information for this period of time in case we want to contact you again about future vacancies.
At the end of this retention period, we will securely destroy your personal information in accordance with our Information Retention and Disposal Policy and applicable laws and regulations.
6. How we keep your personal information safe
We have a legal obligation to process your personal information securely, using appropriate technical and organisational measures. Examples of the measures we take to achieve this include:
- Regular risk analysis and penetration testing of all our processes and systems
- Robust organisational policies (including a breach reporting procedure and security incident response plan)
- Compliance with our regularly updated Information Security Policy
- Provision of regular data protection training for all staff
- Limits on the number of people who have access to the personal information you share with us
7. How we protect your personal information if we transfer it outside of the UK/EEA
We only transfer your personal information to countries outside of the UK or the EEA when it is necessary and only in accordance with Privacy Laws. If you want further details about the safeguards we use to ensure your personal information is protected to an equivalent standard outside of the UK or the EEA, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and Stefan Bauer email@example.com
8. Your rights in relation to your personal information
As an organisation, we have decided to grant all job applicants the same rights in relation to the personal information we process about them regardless of the country they are applying from. These rights are set out below.
- To obtain a copy of the personal information we hold about you
- To have any inaccurate personal information we hold about you corrected
- To ask us to delete any personal information we hold about you
- To ask us to restrict our use of your personal information
- To ask us to transfer your personal information to you or another organisation in a readily useable format
- To object to our use of your personal information
- To challenge any solely automated decision with legal or significant effect we make about you and request human review of any such decision
firstname.lastname@example.org and Stefan Bauer email@example.com. Please also use these contact details if you have any complaints about the way we have used your personal information. If we do not deal with your complaint satisfactorily, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Thank you for applying for a position at WhereIsMyTransport