Understand mobility in high-growth markets
Make data-driven decisions in emerging markets, informed by Transit Data from the complete public transport network. Identifying and advancing growth opportunities is challenging when Transit Data is incomplete, or unavailable. At WhereIsMyTransport, we change that. We map and maintain public transport network data in emerging markets—every mode, every operational style—delivering accurate, reliable, and fresh Transit Data in the global-standard GTFS format.
The mobility ground truth
Billions of people use public transport every day in Africa, Latin America, Southeast Europe, and Asia. Before WhereIsMyTransport, there was no central source of accurate, reliable public transport network data for these markets.
- Identify opportunities in high-growth emerging markets
- Enrich location-based evaluations with reliable data from every public transport route and mode—including flexible-route informal modes
- Empower people with comprehensive data from the entire public transport network of a megacity—irrespective of administrative boundaries
Transit Data from WhereIsMyTransport advances understanding of movement, place, and opportunity in emerging markets.
Transit Data features
Attention to detail makes our Transit Data stand out. Up to 90% of emerging-market public transport network data is missing from other data providers. WhereIsMyTransport maps the entire network, with local teams in each city to keep data fresh. Our Transit Data, delivered in the global-standard GTFS format, includes:
- Every mode of public transport, every operational style: From government-run services to the flexible, informal public transport modes that can be up to 85% of the network.
- Data that reflects public transport, as people use it: Local stop names, fare rules, network colours and iconography, and headsign information from vehicle windshields.
- Global coverage in high-growth markets: We've mapped over 50 cities in some of the fastest growing economies in the world, making data-driven decision-making easy.
With all of this available from a single source, our Transit Data reflects the reality of emerging markets: the mobility ground truth for millions of commuters.
“Our task team are able to use [data from WhereIsMyTransport] to provide insights into otherwise opaque markets”
Transit Data attributes
- Agency and agency metadata: Information about the public transport network (or service) operator.
- Attributions: Matching operators to different transport modes, important when some—such as informal public transport or ferries—have multiple operators.
- Calendar and dates: The days on which a service operates, including information about exceptions, like public holidays.
- Fare attributes and rules: Information about fares, including fare structures such as flat or distance-based.
- Headsigns: Itinerary/route information displayed on vehicles—typically signs in the windshield listing origins and destination, and stops or landmarks on the route.
- Headsigns and route description alternatives: Itinerary/route information displayed on the vehicle.
- Hours of operation: Operating schedule, including times and frequencies.
- Routes: Route names and other information used to differentiate routes.
- Shapes: Points (coordinates) that describe the shape (or geometry) of a route.
- Stops: The location of stops along a route, plus information about the stops such as identifying features, accessibility, and so on.
- Stop times: The schedule of arrivals and departures at different stops.
- Timing of payments: Indicates whether passengers pay for their journey on the vehicle or before boarding.
- Translations: Translated data attributes where multiple languages are used.
- Trips: A sequence of two or more stops that make up a journey.
- Pathways and levels: Multi-level station maps for large transit hubs. Entrances, exits, stairways, elevators, escalators, and the pathways that connect them.
Our Transit Data also includes official GTFS extensions—vehicle categories and attributes, method of payment, and more.
Leverage WhereIsMyTransport Transit Data
- Evaluate transport impact: Understand and report on movement and place, informed by accurate, reliable, and comprehensive data from a city’s public transport network. Learn more
- Identify economic trends: Unearth economic insights, improving precision by using high-frequency mobility data to understand economic trends in emerging markets. Learn more
- Enrich consumer applications: Integrate complete Transit Data and deliver better results, supporting people in markets where the average commute is five hours every day. Learn more
Interested in finding out more?
Using unique tools, on-the-ground expertise, and smart methodology, we produce unrivalled Transit Data in emerging markets. See how our data offering can help grow your business.